Facts on Hearing Loss and Hearing Aids
- 48 Million people in the United States have a hearing loss.
- In Iowa alone, over 600,000 people suffer from a hearing loss.
- The average person with hearing loss waits between 7 to 10 years before taking action to improve their life.
- Hearing loss is connected to Diabetes, Heart Disease, Smoking, Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia
- Hearing loss is the 3rd most common health condition in the United States.
Questions to ask to learn if you might have a hearing loss
- Does a hearing problem cause you to feel embarrassed when meeting new people?
- Does a hearing problem cause you to feel frustrated when talking to members of your family?
- Do you have difficulty hearing when someone speaks in a whisper?
- Do you feel handicapped by your hearing problem?
- Does a hearing problem cause difficulty when visiting friends, relatives or neighbors?
- Does a hearing problem cause you to attend religious services less often than you would like?
- Does a hearing problem cause you to have arguments with family members & friends?
- Does a hearing problem cause you difficulty when listening to TV or radio?
- Do you feel that your hearing difficulties limit or hamper your personal or social life?
How to protect your hearing
- Wear hearing protection whenever you spend time in noisy environments over 85 dB (Traffic Noise).
- It's not just how loud it is, it's how loud multiplied by how long you are around the sound source.
- Follow the 60 / 60 rule - Don't listen to music for more than 60 minutes at no higher than 60 dB.